A Fake ID Can Earn You More Than You Bargain For
Life as a teenager is confusing and complicated. Teens endure college entrance exams, part-time jobs, high school, and constant pressure to fit in. On the journey to finding who they are as individuals, they make a lot of mistakes along the way.
Can a Bouncer Really Spot a Fake?
Bouncers can and do catch teens with fake IDs. With hundreds of licenses handled on a daily basis, it becomes second nature to them to find one that does not match the others. A few signals that are red flags for any seasoned door person are:
- An unusual number of out of state visitors,
- Defects in the ID such as bubbles or delamination,
- Photocopy of an original, or
- International identification card.
What Happens Once It Is Detected
If the person that is checking the identifications at the door comes across a suspicious ID, sometimes the presenting person can walk away with their fake confiscated. The establishment reserves the right to notify the police, and if this happens, what occurs next is all in the hands of the responding officer. Presenting a fake ID can affect the following in a teen's future:
- Inhibit college perspectives, and
- Delay job offers.
Anyone caught with or caught distributing a fictitious identification card or driver’s license can lose their driving privileges for a suspension period of up to one year or a revocation period for a minimum of one year. Additionally, the following punishments may be enforced:
- Up to one year in jail as well as fines of up to $2,500 for a Class A Misdemeanor conviction, which is when the offender has possession of an ID that does not belong to them, has the wrong information on it, or is altered in some way.
- One to three years in prison and additional fines of up to $25,000 for a Class 4 Felony conviction determined by possession of any manufactured identification, having the equipment to produce or selling a fabricated identification.
Having a conviction of this magnitude on a criminal record can be devastating to futures. Whereas many teens and young adults feel that having a fake ID is not a big deal, seen as a “rite of passage” for many, this is one lesson that should be learned the easy way. If you or your loved one has been charged with using a fake ID, it is essential that you contact an experienced lawyer immediately. If you are interested in learning your options from a DuPage County criminal defense attorney contact the Davi Law Group, LLC today at 630-580-6373.